Nowadays, social media is one of the most significant source of information for all of us and we all have full control upon what we share, like and post.
But do we take social responsibility for what we share, like and post as users of social media. We must think & research before sharing, liking or posting on social media.
I am not talking but our personal status like eating, drinking, travelling, etc. which may not affect others but sharing the hoax information can affect someone’s Public Image, Product & Services, Health, mindset and can make someone famous for no reason.
One of the most recent hoaxes on social media is –
“All your posts can become public tomorrow” ( making this post will not change the privacy guidelines of facebook related your profile/posts because its fake and a part of chain messages)
But if you want your Facebook Profile not to be indexed in search engines (not available to public) then change these privacy settings –
1. Click on the lock icon on the top right corner.
2. Select the “See More Settings” at the bottom of pop-up, and then under the “Who can look me up?” Section, lick “Do you want other search engines outside of Facebook to link to your profile?”
4. If above option is set to “Yes” then Search engines are crawling your profile/posts.
5. Select Edit, and deselect “Allow search engines outside of Facebook to link to your profile” and close.
6. Now search engines will not crawl your profile & posts. (If you want to know which what is already indexed by search engines search as follow – Site:facebook.com/facebookusername. It will list all the indexed post of Facebook )
Besides to the above steps, you must set “Who can see your future posts?” to Friends, under the section of “Who can see my stuff?” instead to Public or you can change this setting right where you post for each of your posts.
If you need to change all your past post to Friends only instead of Public or Friends of Friends, then under the same section of “Who can see my stuff?” Click “limit past post” and select “limit past post” > confirm and then close.
Another Social Media hoax which I recently received on what’s app –
It says – Child Helpline collects left food, call 1098 and they will come to collect the food.
It is a hoax because if you visit the Child Helpline website, the first thing you will notice is the popup which says –
“Warning: We understand there is a chain mail circulating that says – one should call up 1098 to pick up left over food after a party etc so that it is not wasted. This is not true. We are India ‘s only and most widespread Children’s phone emergency outreach service (1098) for children in need of care and protection. We do not pick up food or distribute food. This mail was not initiated by us, kindly do not circulate it. Your cooperation is appreciated.”
So, next time think and research before you share, like and post!!
I will like to hear in comments if you have found any hoax on social media.